Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Balancing Act


In the past couple of months, my life has gone from leisurely days of studying abroad to early mornings and late nights with not even a second to catch my breath. I won't pretend I have it all together. To "do it all" is impossible. Instead, what I've come to accept is that you do what you can and let go of what you can't. 



Here are some ways that I personally balance my life: 

SCHOOL:
School is important. At least, that is what everyone keeps telling me. The truth is, in the past few weeks, I can't say school has been "on the back burner." Honestly, school hasn't even been on the stove. However, with midterms catching up to me, I was forced to get my head back in the game that is college. Thankfully, I'm not pre-med or an engineer, like some of my closest pals, so all I have to do for class is reading... lots of it. My trick is to get my readings done whilst doing other activities. Specifically, I will download the articles on my iPad or pack the books in my bag and read on my public transit commute to my internship. The strategy is to fit in those assigned readings amidst other time consuming activities that require little thought or effort.

INTERNSHIP:
My time at my internship is devoted strictly to my internship (with a little Facebook and Twitter updating here and there). The strategy is to go into work mode the second I enter the door and check out of work mode the second I leave. Thankfully, because it is a school-credit internship, I have the flexibility to turn the switch on and off. 

BLOG:
A lot of people have been asking me... how the heck do you have time to blog? And truthfully, I'd probably have more time to do other things if I didn't blog-- but blogging isn't THAT time consuming. I brainstorm my topics ahead of time and try to keep a couple posts on deck. Additionally, I have now started creating some blogging habits such as (Wednesday Wish List and Foodie Adventures), so I can always fall back on those themes when I'm hitting a blogger's block. At the start of the blog, I was consistently blogging everyday. Now, I am still trying to do this, but I'm not guilting myself if I skip a day. I've gotta remind myself: quality over quantity. 

LIFE:
Amidst everything else going on, I have a life with logistical errands to keep up and most importantly, a social life that requires constant maintenance. I try and do myself a favor and get all my grocery shopping, cleaning and laundry done on the weekends... despite the massive rushes on Sundays at Trader Joes. 

What I'm struggling most with right now is maintaining my social life. I've only got a few months left in college and I know I need to make the most of it. Believe me, I'm workin' on it. It sometimes requires me to shut off my school/work/blog/life mode and just throw up my hands in defeat (a few cocktails usually speed up this process). However, I find solace in knowing that the best relationships worth having, are the relationships that work most naturally and most easily. I'm very grateful for the friends who have taken the time to get to know my schedule and forged out a slot for themselves in it.

Out of all of these things, the biggest thing that brings me back down to earth is this little quote I saw on The Everygirl a few weeks back: 

"Breathe, my friend. You are not a mess, you are normal. Extraordinary, perhaps. In the blink of an eye your life will change. And it will continue to change for decades to come. Enjoy it, embrace it... be grateful for the ride. You are not old, you are young. And faith will get you everywhere. Just you wait." --Abby Larson for The Evergirl


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...