Monday, March 11, 2013

Five Tips to Survive Finals Week


Finals Week is just around the corner at my school which means that I have loads of papers and assignments to complete this week.

Today at my internship, I was joking with my colleague, who was studying for a test during her lunch break, that we are Wonder Women. We intern all day, work second jobs, are on an aggressive post-grad job hunt AND go to school full-time. With all that, it is easy to get yourself worked up. Here are my top five tips to destress during Finals Week (and the "dead week" before that is not in any way, shape or form--dead).

1. Make Lists
As an avid list maker, I can tell you that there is very little more fulfilling than crossing out items on a To Do List. It also is a great way to wrap your head around all that you have on your plate. I cheat though, sometimes I add simple things like "eat lunch" or "check Pinterest" just to make myself feel good about crossing these easy things off.



2. Calm Down
Everyone has their own version of peaceful music. I know both of my roommates have their own distinct tastes. One loves to belt showtunes from Les Mis, the other is a devoted Harry Potter audiobook listener. I, however, prefer acoustic jam sessions to mellow me out. This is one of my favorites by Lord Huron:



3. Do Things Now
As easy as it is to leave the little things, do yourself a favor and do the small chores now. Personally, nothing makes my life feel more in shables than an unmade bed. Make your bed, fold your clothes and put away the nine pairs of shoes on your floor. I promise, you will already feel better.



4. Light Candles
Just trust me. Candles make everything seem instantly calmer.



5. Go For a Walk
Grab your equally stressed out friend and go for a quick stroll-- preferably to your local coffee, fro-yo or acai bowl watering hole. The chit chat will take your mind off of your stresses and the fresh air will be good for you. Give yourself a destination so you don't just aimlessly walk around punishing yourself for wasting time.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for your suggestions to get through finals Mackenzie. I also enjoy acoustic-folk songs and I will have to get acquainted with Lord Huron for my next finals week. I would also suggest studying in different places. It keeps things fresh and it keeps you from getting cabin fever.

Mac said...

You're more than welcome! I agree! I enjoy switching up my study spaces too. I find that I study best in cozy coffee shops that play classical music. For some reason, it is really hard for me to get work done at my house!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...