Monday, April 8, 2013

Shanghai Memories: Part 2 -- So Many Noodles


The next day in Shanghai was filled with adventure. I went on the hunt for teacups and gifts for my friends in the tangled alleys Tian Zi Fang.









After shopping around the winding alleys, I joined my expat Belgian tour guide for a delicious and very filling Noodle Tour.

Simply put, I was paraded around the tree lined streets of the French Quarter and taken to secret noodle shops. Truly, I would have never found these shops without my tour guide. Further, I don't think I would have had the guts to go into these shops without my tour guide. Some of them were a bit questionable, albeit delicious.

Exhibit A:


The truth is, I can't even tell you the names of the restaurants we went to. In fact-- I don't think even think many of them had names. They were truly local joints.

Take a look at the various noodles I had the pleasure of eating... Get ready to have your mouth water...

1. Silver Fish Soup
2. Hairy Crab Noodles
3. Spiced Peanut Sauce
4. Caramelized Onion Noodles
5. I have no idea
6. DUMPLINGS!




And my favorite were not noodles at all... but in our last stop the infamous dumplings of China!


It was such a great way to experience food like a local! Though I couldn't eat for a whole day afterwards.





The next day, I treated myself to a luxurious afternoon tea at The Waldorf Astoria. My date for the afternoon was Vogue featuring the lovely, Michelle Obama.





In the evening, Mama Deb and I finally reunited for a fabulous dinner at the ultra chic, Char Restaurant.

Shanghai you were positively incredible. So modern and yet so rooted in tradition. I look forward to seeing how you change over the course of my life.

Up next... Hong Kong!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...